Brain aging is natural but for years researchers have been trying to locate a substance that slows this process. Picamilon falls into this category, and is scientifically called, Sodium N-nicotinyl-gama aminobutyrate which structurally, is a combination of GABA and niacin. Therapeutic indications show using Picamilon is effective in slowing down aging of the brain.
Picamilon was developed by Soviet Union in the year 1969 by the All Union Scientific Research Institute. It was constructed by combining niacin with GABA. Pure GABA itself cannot cross the blood brain barrier efficiently. In the USA it is sold as a dietary supplement whereas it is sold as a prescription drug in Russia. NPK ECHO, Moscow Russia holds the rights to the drug.
Mechanism of action of Picamilon
Once Picamilon crosses the blood-brain barrier, it gets hydrolyzed into GABA and niacin. As far as the mechanism of action is concerned, it is understood that the release of GABA has the ability to activate GABA receptors. This triggering is believed to produce the anxiolytic response. The niacin also has the potential as a strong vasodilator which helps in relieving headaches or migraines. The main role in the mechanism of action of Picamilon could be found in its effect on the nervous control of the cerebral action. During the vasomotor reflect, it exerts influence on the carotid and vertebrobasilar vessels by inhibiting them through stimulating afferent fibers. This has the ultimate effect of relaxing the sympathetic nerves.
Intake of Picamilon in prescribed dosages is known bring in the following benefits:
• It acts as a tranquilizer even at a small dosages of 1mg/kg
• It prevents the negative consequences brought on by stress
• Helps reduce negative emotional responses
• Produces an inhibitory effect on motivated aggression
• It produces a simulative action in general anesthesia
• The vasodilatory effect of niacin has the potential to relieve those suffering from headache and other conditions
• Prescribed for cerebral insufficiency especially in elderly as it has potential to reduce the risk for stroke
• Due to its vasculogenesis, it is found to be useful in treating ophthalmological conditions such as glaucoma/retinopathy.
• It promotes relaxation, produces a calming effect and reduces depression
• It does not cause muscle relaxation, drowsiness or lethargy
• It does not have cancer causing properties
• Low toxicity
Picamilon has very few adverse effects. Nonetheless, it may cause the following negative side effects in sensitive individuals:
It is available both in capsule and powder forms. In capsule form, it is available in 100, 150, 200, and 500 mg doses. While it is best to follow the dosages as prescribed in the labels, the normal recommendation is to take doses ranging between 50 and 100 mgs two to three times. However, if taken along with any other nootropics, it is advisable to reduce the dosage to minimize the side effects. Its compounds are rapidly absorbed and hence its effect is noticed normally within an hour from taking the supplement. Some users find, the supplement must be taken for a week or more to feel the full range of effects.
Close analysis of Picamilon shows it is a very beneficial supplement with low side effects. The effects may seem very subtle but this is because Picamilon does not cause sedation or drowsiness. The supplement has great anti-oxidative properties and is great for brain health and chemistry. It may be recommended as part of a nootropic stack.