Alpha GPC (L-Alpha Glycerylphosphorylcholine) is a very effective choline source. Choline has been shown to contribute to learning and memory by increasing the Acetylcholine neurotransmitter. Even though choline is found in everyday foods, studies have shown that only 10% of Americans meet the daily recommended dosages of combined choline sources.
Acetylcholine is the most abundant neurotransmitter in the brain and is responsible in every cognitive function. Lacking in choline sources, can lead to mental defects. Alpha GPC as a choline source is perhaps the most efficient and best choice for choline supplementation.
In the US, Alpha GPC can be obtained as a dietary supplement but in Europe it is a prescribed medication. It is used as a supplement to treat Alzheimer’s, Dementia, Stroke and many other mental problems. Alpha GPC has also been shown to help with overall mood and energy levels. For those looking to get the best nootropic benefits, it is great to stack Alpha GPC or choline with other nootropic supplements.
Alpha GPC is a relatively new found choline source. It is derived from soy lecithin (phosphatidylcholine). Lecithin has long been a well-known choline supplement source and is used by many. Alpha GPC seems to be more effective than lecithin for its Acetylcholine increasing properties. It is very efficient at crossing the blood brain barrier therefore a better choice for ones looking for the most optimal nootropic benefits.
Alpha GPC Benefits
- The main benefit to Alpha GPC is its noticeable nootropic qualities. It is used as a prescription medication and has merit in treating many mental deficiencies. Alpha GPC has qualities of treating overall general mental health including: learning and memory, thinking skills and mood.
- Several studies have shown Alpha GPC to be beneficial for depression and mood. Lacking in choline can lead to depression and low energy levels. Supplementation of Alpha GPC can have great benefits for these individuals.
- Studies have shown Alpha GPC to increase Growth Hormone levels in both the young and the elderly. This process is completed via the anterior pituitary by secretion of the Growth Hormone Releasing Hormone (GHRH). Alpha GPC seems to affect the release of GHRH and therefore contribute to overall endogenous HGH levels.
- Increasing GH levels have a host of physical benefits for everyone. It can contribute to overall physical health and repair. This is why Alpha GPC is very sought after in the bodybuilding niche. More studies need to be completed on the exact method of action on how GH is released.
- Alpha GPC is great for bodybuilders and athletes for its effects on increasing concentration and focus. This is done via the cholinergic pathways by stimulation of the AcH receptor sites. This process also helps increase physiological functions such as overall coordination, balance and equilibrium.
Stacking Alpha GPC
Stacking any nootropic supplement with a choline source is always a good idea. Using Alpha GPC alone will often have very subtle effects. Alpha GPC is a great and efficient choline source to use in your stack. It will help contribute to synergistic effects and overall efficiency of the stack.
Some also say that it can help reduce headaches and other minor side effects brought on by a supplement like Piracetam. It may also reduce the limited tolerance any of these nootropics may bring. If you are taking a SAM-e supplement, it is a great idea to combine with Alpha GPC as the two co-operate together nicely.
The average dose of Alpha GPC is 300mg-1200mg. Sometimes, users will start with an “attack dose” to kick start the benefits. Usually, the first week will consist of the higher attack dosage and the next week the dose will be lowered to the daily normality. This is a common technique among nootropic users.
Overdose on Alpha GPC and choline in general is nearly impossible. Higher unrealistic dosages will lead to some side effects but these side effects are usually not seen above 5g. The maximum recommended dosage of combined food/supplement choline sources is 3.5g a day. For most, this is not a problem as it is estimated that only 10% of Americans meet this level.
As stated above, side effects are uncommon in normal dosages. Below is a list of some side effects that occur in unrealistic dosages of Alpha GPC
- Fishy Odor Smell
- Lowered Blood Pressure